Tags: AF | Ivory Coast | Military Unrest

Ivory Coast Defense Minister Says Deal Reached with Soldiers

Tuesday, 16 May 2017 06:38 AM EDT

ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast (AP) — Ivory Coast's defense minister says an agreement has been reached with the soldiers who have taken to the streets in protest in the country's largest cities.

In a statement carried on Ivorian television, Defense Minister Alain-Richard Donwahi urged soldiers "to free up the roads, to go back to their barracks and to keep the peace."

The soldiers are part of a group who had launched a mutiny back in January seeking to improve their compensation and living conditions. When a group apologized to the president and the head of the army on national television last week, dissatisfied soldiers took the streets.

The brief statement released late Monday night did not contain details of the agreement.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Africa
Ivory Coast's defense minister says an agreement has been reached with the soldiers who have taken to the streets in protest in the country's largest cities.In a statement carried on Ivorian television, Defense Minister Alain-Richard Donwahi urged soldiers "to free up the...
AF,Ivory Coast,Military Unrest
119
2017-38-16
Tuesday, 16 May 2017 06:38 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved