Tags: AF | Congo | Rebels

Congo Warns of Armed Ex-M23 Rebels Crossing Border

Sunday, 15 January 2017 07:40 AM EST

KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — Congo's government says 250 armed members of a former rebel group have crossed from Uganda into Congo.

Government spokesman Lambert Mende said Sunday the government was surprised by the incursion of two columns of the ex-M23 rebels entered Congo's North Kivu province.

North Kivu governor Julien Paluku warned that the former M23 members carried guns and ammunition and could attack.

M23 operated in eastern Congo from 2012 until it was repulsed by U.N. forces and Congo's army. Many rebels fled to Rwanda and Uganda before a 2013 peace agreement.

Uganda and Congo agreed last year to share intelligence to combat rebel groups active along the countries' border.

Eastern Congo has been plagued by a myriad of armed rebels since the Rwandan genocide in 1994.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Africa
Congo's government says 250 armed members of a former rebel group have crossed from Uganda into Congo.Government spokesman Lambert Mende said Sunday the government was surprised by the incursion of two columns of the ex-M23 rebels entered Congo's North Kivu province.North...
AF,Congo,Rebels
127
2017-40-15
Sunday, 15 January 2017 07:40 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved