Tags: AF | Burundi | Violence

Burundi: 2 Officials Slain in Gun Attacks in Rural Areas

Wednesday, 16 March 2016 02:37 PM EDT

KIGALI, Rwanda (AP) — The governor of a rural province in Burundi says two officials with the ruling party have been shot dead in what he described as targeted attacks.

Gad Niyukuri, the governor of Makamba province, said Wednesday that one of the victims lived in his region while the other official was attacked by gunmen in Bururi province.

Niyukuri identified the victims as Pascal Kazungu and Adrien Mudomo.

He said both officials were shot at close range on Tuesday night and appear to have been targeted because they are supporters of President Pierre Nkurunziza, whose decision last year to seek a third term sparked violent street protests and ongoing unrest.

More than 400 people have been killed in Burundi's unrest and at least 230,000 have fled the country to neighboring countries.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Africa
The governor of a rural province in Burundi says two officials with the ruling party have been shot dead in what he described as targeted attacks.Gad Niyukuri, the governor of Makamba province, said Wednesday that one of the victims lived in his region while the other...
AF,Burundi,Violence
131
2016-37-16
Wednesday, 16 March 2016 02:37 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved