Tags: AF | Angola | Yellow Fever

WHO: Yellow Fever Outbreak Kills 178 in Angola

Thursday, 24 March 2016 01:15 PM EDT

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — The World Health Organization says the first yellow fever outbreak in Angola in decades has killed 178 people.

The organization said Thursday that more than 450 people have been infected by the disease since the outbreak was first reported in December last year.

It has been described as the first outbreak in 30 years and spread from the capital Luanda to six of the country's 18 provinces.

The WHO statement said that while 5.7 million people have been vaccinated against yellow fever, there is a global vaccine shortage. Half of the severely infected patients die within 10 to 14 days if they do not receive treatment.

Yellow fever is spread by mosquitoes, most commonly the Aedes aegypti mosquito, the same species that spreads the Zika virus.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Africa
The World Health Organization says the first yellow fever outbreak in Angola in decades has killed 178 people.The organization said Thursday that more than 450 people have been infected by the disease since the outbreak was first reported in December last year.It has been...
AF,Angola,Yellow Fever
128
2016-15-24
Thursday, 24 March 2016 01:15 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved