Tags: AF | Africa | US Military

US Military in Africa Says Changes Made to Protect Troops

Monday, 30 July 2018 04:37 PM EDT

DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — The head of the U.S. military in Africa says it has taken steps to increase the security of troops on the ground, adding armed drones and armored vehicles and taking a harder look at when American forces go out with local troops.

The U.S. Africa Command chief says in an interview that the U.S. also has cut the response time needed for medical evacuations — the result of a broad review in the wake of last year's ambush in Niger that killed four U.S. soldiers and four of their Niger counterparts.

Gen. Thomas D. Waldhauser says a report is due in mid-August on actions taken in response to the findings.

He says Africa's challenges remain vast, from Islamic State and al-Qaida-linked groups in the west to al-Shabab in the east.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


GlobalTalk
The head of the U.S. military in Africa says it has taken steps to increase the security of troops on the ground, adding armed drones and armored vehicles and taking a harder look at when American forces go out with local troops.The U.S. Africa Command chief says in an...
AF,Africa,US Military
132
2018-37-30
Monday, 30 July 2018 04:37 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved