Tags: EU | Germany | Stabbing

German Prosecutors Raise Charge in Teen's Stabbing to Murder

Tuesday, 16 January 2018 12:38 PM EST

BERLIN (AP) — German prosecutors say an Afghan migrant held in the fatal stabbing of his 15-year-old ex-girlfriend is now suspected of murder after investigations showed he acted with "guile."

Landau prosecutors say the victim was surprised by the attack — one of the requirements for a murder charge. They had previously accused the suspect of manslaughter, which carries a lesser penalty.

The attack in a drugstore in Kandel, near the French border, has fueled debate in Germany about integration and the need to better determine migrants' age. The suspect claimed to be 15 and authorities said shortly after the attack that they had no reason to doubt he was a minor.

Prosecutor Angelika Moehlig said Tuesday the office will receive an expert report on the suspect's age "in a few weeks."

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Europe
German prosecutors say an Afghan migrant held in the fatal stabbing of his 15-year-old ex-girlfriend is now suspected of murder after investigations showed he acted with "guile."Landau prosecutors say the victim was surprised by the attack - one of the requirements for a...
EU,Germany,Stabbing
130
2018-38-16
Tuesday, 16 January 2018 12:38 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved