Tags: EU | Germany | Christmas Market | The Latest

The Latest: Italian PM Tells Merkel Berlin Suspect Killed

The Latest: Italian PM Tells Merkel Berlin Suspect Killed

Friday, 23 December 2016 06:50 AM EST

MILAN (AP) — The Latest on the investigation into the deadly truck attack on a Berlin Christmas market (all times local):

12:15 p.m.

Italian Premier Paolo Gentiloni says he phoned German Chancellor Angela Merkel to inform her that the Christmas market attack suspect had been killed.

Gentiloni said the overnight capture and killing of Amis Amri in Milan shows the importance of increased law enforcement collaboration at both national and international levels.

11:40 a.m.

German Interior Ministry spokesman Tobias Plate has voiced his department's relief that the suspect in the Berlin Christmas market truck attack appears to have been killed in Italy.

After Italy's interior minister, Marco Minniti, said Anis Amri had been shot in an early-hours shootout in Milan, Plate said "should this turn out to be true then the Interior Ministry is relieved that this person doesn't pose a threat anymore."

Plate said Germany had not yet received official written notification from Italy but that a German police liaison office in Rome had been informed.

11:30 a.m.

Italy's interior minister Marco Minniti says one of the two police officers who apprehended the Berlin Christmas market attacker in Milan was shot but that his condition is not life-threatening.

Minniti said the other officer fatally shot Anis Amri during the shootout early Friday.

11:15 a.m.

Italy's interior minister says a man killed in an early-hours shootout in Milan is "without a shadow of doubt" the Berlin Christmas market attacker.

Marco Minniti said after the shootout all the necessary checks were conducted and that "the person killed, without a shadow of a doubt, is Anis Amri, the suspect of the terrorist attack."

Minniti said German authorities were immediately informed.

He said the two police officers who were on patrol and stopped Amri "have done an extraordinary service to the community."

11:05 a.m.

A man killed in a shootout with police in Milan early Friday is the main suspect the truck attack on a Berlin Christmas market that killed 12 people, Italian news agency ANSA reported.

Italy's Interior Ministry called a press conference for Friday morning.

The shootout with suspect Anis Amri took place at 3 a.m. in Milan's Sesto San Giovanni neighborhood during a routine police check, ANSA said.

He pulled a gun from his backpack after being asked to show his identity papers and was killed in the ensuing shootout, ANSA reported.

A police officer was injured.

ANSA said various sources in Milan and Rome confirmed that the dead man was Amri, who German authorities believe drove the truck that plowed into the Christmas market Monday. Citing Milan anti-terrorism police, ANSA said authorities positively identified Amri from his physical appearance and fingerprints.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Europe
The Latest on the investigation into the deadly truck attack on a Berlin Christmas market (all times local):12:15 p.m.Italian Premier Paolo Gentiloni says he phoned German Chancellor Angela Merkel to inform her that the Christmas market attack suspect had been...
EU,Germany,Christmas Market,The Latest
441
2016-50-23
Friday, 23 December 2016 06:50 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved