Tags: AS | Koreas | Tension | The Latest

The Latest: S. Koreans Still at Joint Factory after Deadline

The Latest: S. Koreans Still at Joint Factory after Deadline

Thursday, 11 February 2016 05:36 AM EST

PAJU, South Korea (AP) — The Latest on tensions between North and South Korea following Pyongyang's rocket launch (all times local):

7:20 p.m.

Well after the deadline set by North Korea for South Korean workers to leave the joint factory park passed, South Koreans told The Associated Press by phone that they had been instructed to wait for further instructions from South Korean officials.

Some South Korean workers left the Kaesong industrial complex in the North before the North's expulsion order, and a handful of others were seen leaving afterward, but South Korean officials didn't know what would happen to its nationals who had not departed by Pyongyang's 5:30 p.m. (Seoul time) deadline. They also didn't how many remained at the factories. South Korea said it would ban reporters from the border crossing on Friday.

A manager at a South Korean apparel company at the complex, who declined to give his name, said he and one other South Korean at his company were waiting in an office for word about when they could leave.

He said he was not sure whether he would return to the South on Thursday. He said he did not see any North Korean officials and did not know whether other South Koreans were there.

6:05 p.m.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency says the military buildup along the western portion of the border with North Korea is a measure to counter any provocation from its rival.

The report didn't elaborate.

The Defense Ministry says it cannot confirm the report, which cited an unidentified military official.

The reported military buildup Thursday came after the North Korean decision to expel South Koreans from a joint factory park.

6 p.m.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency is reporting that South Korea has bolstered military readiness along the western portion of the Koreas' border after the North Korean decision to expel South Koreans from a joint factory park.

Seoul's Defense Ministry says it cannot confirm the report, which cited an unidentified military official.

The report gave no other details.

North Korea also said Thursday it was also pulling all its workers from the Kaesong complex just across the tense border in response to the South's suspension of operations there following North Korea's long-range rocket launch on Sunday.

The North further said it was shutting down two crucial cross-border communications hotlines.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Asia
The Latest on tensions between North and South Korea following Pyongyang's rocket launch (all times local):7:20 p.m.Well after the deadline set by North Korea for South Korean workers to leave the joint factory park passed, South Koreans told The Associated Press by phone...
AS,Koreas,Tension,The Latest
388
2016-36-11
Thursday, 11 February 2016 05:36 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved