Tags: Nigeria | unrest | education | UN

UN Promises New School for Kidnapped Nigerian Girls

Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 05:02 PM

A global fund for education will rebuild a Nigerian school destroyed by terrorists who kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls in April, a special UN envoy promised Tuesday as he visited Nigeria for talks on boosting security.

Gordon Brown, a former British prime minister and now the United Nations' education envoy, met President Goodluck Jonathan and Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as part of his "Safe School Initiative" unveiled in May, which aims to help hundreds of schools hit by Boko Haram terrorists.

The scheme, backed by $10 million of private business donations matched by the Nigerian government, will initially target 500 schools in the violence-ravaged northeast.

"This is a program for the whole country, but it is starting in the states which have the greatest problem with terrorism over recent months," Brown said.

"We also want to help the rebuilding of Chibok schools because we want parents of that area to be sure that when their girls are released, they can come home to a school that is rebuilt and safe."

The girls' school in the remote town in northeastern Borno state was destroyed in the attack on April 14, which saw 276 girls abducted from their dormitories. A total of 219 are still missing.

Many of the girls were attending the school for public exams because their schools had either shut because of fears of violence or had been destroyed in previous Boko Haram attacks.

The group, which wants to create a hardline Islamic state in Muslim-majority northern Nigeria, opposes schools that teach a so-called Western curriculum and has launched previous attacks on teachers and students.

UNICEF said Monday that Nigeria has the most children out of school in the world -- more than 10.5 million. Many are girls, mainly in the north.

The "Safe Schools Initiative" will start with Borno, as well as neighboring Adamawa and Yobe, which have been worst hit by the unrest.

Brown described the project as the biggest initiative of its kind and said it would include provision of communications equipment and security guards.

Although the initial investment is $20 million, he said the target is $100 million. Some countries and foreign agencies have been contacted to help in the project, Brown added.

"There is collective determination on the part of the world to support the country because all of us have at some time faced a terrorist problem," he said.

"We want to help secure the release of the girls and to make young girls and boys feel secure when they go to school."

 

© AFP 2017

   
1Like our page
2Share
Africa
A global fund for education will rebuild a Nigerian school destroyed by terrorists who kidnapped about 200 schoolgirls in April, a special UN envoy promised Tuesday.
Nigeria, unrest, education, UN
420
2014-02-17
Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 05:02 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved