Tags: AF | Burkina Faso | Unrest

Burkina Faso: Coup Plotters Refuse to Disarm

Monday, 28 September 2015 01:13 PM

OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso (AP) — Burkina Faso's government on Monday accused the military general behind this month's failed coup of derailing the disarmament of his supporters, while he said they had come under threat and needed to keep their arms for protection.

The setback for reconciliation in the West African nation comes just days after the international community applauded the reversal of the coup when Gen. Gilbert Diendere agreed under heavy pressure to cede power back to the civilian president he had overthrown.

In a communique issued Monday, the government lashed out at members of the presidential guard unit known as the RSP, which was formally disbanded by the government last week following the failed coup.

"Despite the pledges of good faith, the disarmament process that began Saturday was suddenly called into question yesterday by Gen. Diendere, who told his unit in fact that it could not be dissolved by the transitional government and that it was better to resist."

The government further warned that it was aware of the "mobilization of foreign forces and jihadi groups" to further the cause.

In a telephone interview with The Associated Press, Diendere said the RSP soldiers had not received the protections they initially were promised.

"The RSP agreed with disarmament, but there were no security measures for them or their families from the transitional government nor the military hierarchy," he said.

Under the peace deal brokered last week, the RSP were supposed to lay down their weapons and remain in their barracks. In return, members of the military who had come from around the country in a show of force agreed to withdraw from the capital.

The transitional government has said that members of the RSP found to have played significant roles in the coup are to face trial, while others will be reintegrated into the army.

Ahmed reported from Dakar, Senegal.

© Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Africa
Burkina Faso's government on Monday accused the military general behind this month's failed coup of derailing the disarmament of his supporters, while he said they had come under threat and needed to keep their arms for protection.The setback for reconciliation in the West...
AF,Burkina Faso,Unrest
309
2015-13-28
Monday, 28 September 2015 01:13 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved