Skip to main content
Tags: oig | covid | benefits | unemployment | labor | fraud | anthony desposito

Labor OIG: $1B in COVID Benefits Vulnerable to Fraud

By    |   Tuesday, 17 February 2026 10:56 AM EST

The Labor Department's Office of Inspector General (OIG) has determined that just under $1 billion in COVID-era unemployment benefits has not been used and could be subject to fraud.

"My office has warned that, absent swift action, US taxpayers risk losing nearly a billion dollars in fraudulently obtained benefits," Inspector General Anthony D'Esposito said in a statement.

The OIG determined that $720 million in unemployment insurance benefits remains on prepaid debit cards, with another $192 million moved to state unclaimed property offices.

"This is taxpayer money and it demands immediate attention," D'Esposito said. "We've done the investigative work. We've identified where the money is. There is no excuse for delay, and no acceptable outcome other than returning these dollars to the American people."

One of the prepaid cards alone holds about $76,000, according to the OIG.

Residents in most states can receive unemployment benefits on prepaid debit cards, which do not require a bank account or the submission of financial information to the government.

Depending on the state, recipients can also be paid through direct deposit or paper checks.

D'Esposito's team urged the Labor Department's Employment and Training Administration to send guidance to states about recovering the funds.

"Fraud isn't a victimless crime," D'Esposito, a former GOP congressman, said in the statement.

"Every dollar stolen is a dollar that families don't have for groceries, rent, healthcare, or gas. When we root out fraud, we protect taxpayers and lower the real cost of living," he added.

The findings came after investigators analyzed approximately 6.5 million prepaid debit cards that were used during the pandemic to pay benefits.

The OIG's work so far has led to $2.2 billion in recovered funds, charges against 2,300 people and 1,800 convictions.

Last year, the Small Business Administration found that it had disbursed up to $200 billion in "potentially fraudulent loans" through its pandemic relief programs.

Sandy Fitzgerald

Sandy Fitzgerald has more than three decades in journalism and serves as a general assignment writer for Newsmax covering news, media, and politics. 

© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.


US
The Labor Department's Office of Inspector General (OIG) has determined that just under $1 billion in COVID-era unemployment benefits has not been used and could be subject to fraud.
oig, covid, benefits, unemployment, labor, fraud, anthony desposito
311
2026-56-17
Tuesday, 17 February 2026 10:56 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
TOP

Interest-Based Advertising | Do not sell or share my personal information

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Download the Newsmax App
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved