The White House said Monday night it was not ending former first lady Michelle Obama's female education initiative as had been reported.
"There have been no changes to the program," State Department spokesperson Heather Nauer told CNN, referring to the "Let Girls Learn" initiative, which Obama launched in 2015.
"The Administration supports policies and programs to empower adolescent girls, including efforts to educate them through the completion of secondary school. We are committed to empowering women and girls around the world and are continuing to examine the best ways to do so."
CNN had reported earlier Monday an internal Trump administration document showed plans to end the "Let Girls Learn" program, which facilitates educational opportunities for adolescent girls in developing countries.
"Moving forward, we will not continue to use the 'Let Girls Learn' brand or maintain a stand-alone program," read an email sent to Peace Corps employees by the agency's acting director Sheila Crowley, CNN reported.
In their comment, the White House did not say whether "Let Girls Learn" would be maintained in the future as a standalone program – and they also did not directly address the memo or why it had been sent.
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.