Tags: Healthcare Reform | HealthCare.gov | healthcare | health insurance | Health and Human Services

HealthCare.gov Overhaul Aims to Simplify Signups

By    |   Tuesday, 23 Sep 2014 03:16 PM

The Obama administration is launching an overhaul of HealthCare.gov to give users a better service when buying insurance under the healthcare law, The New York Times reported.

Officials say that 70 percent of consumers will have shorter, simpler online application forms when the new enrollment season opens in November. The application will feature fewer questions and screens for people to scroll through during the application process.

"The streamlined application will allow people to get through the process a lot faster," Andrew Slavitt of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services told the Times.
The revamped website will have "a new look and feel" and will provide "a shorter, smoother, simpler user experience," said an internal memo by the Department of Health and Human Services, according to the Times. It will benefit first time applicants with uncomplicated household situations.

The changes are intended to go some way in alleviating the difficulties people experienced when trying to apply for the federal health coverage last year when the site was plagued with glitches.

"Instead of being user-friendly, the original website was user-hostile," Luke Chung, president of FMS, a software development company, told the Times.

The changes are being phased in with random subsets of applicants over the course of several months to ensure the new application is fully functional before it is available to all users.

"We expect about 70 percent of applicants to use the shorter, updated application. The remaining 30 percent, who have more complicated household scenarios, will use the traditional marketplace application," health officials told the Times.

Consumers will have the added benefit of being able to view the range of available health plans before registering on the website.

Other features are intended to limit the number of screens applicants need to navigate and give more flexibility in moving backward to different parts of the application.

According to the Times, consumer advocates are cautiously optimistic about how the changes will benefit consumers.


Related stories:

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
US
The Obama administration is launching an overhaul of HealthCare.gov to give users a better service when buying insurance under the healthcare law, The New York Times reported.
HealthCare.gov, healthcare, health insurance, Health and Human Services
341
2014-16-23
Tuesday, 23 Sep 2014 03:16 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved