Skip to main content
Tags: california | homeless | east bay | caltrans | lawsuit

Hundreds Seek Money Owed Over California Homeless Sweeps

homeless man leaning against a shop with a man walking his dog past him
A man walks his dog past a homeless man sleeping under a message painted on a boarded up shop in San Francisco, California on April 1, 2020. (Josh Edelson/Getty Images)

By    |   Tuesday, 20 October 2020 11:58 AM EDT

The California Department of Transportation agreed to pay $5.5 million over claims that the agency illegally removed and destroyed property that belonged to various homeless residents in East Bay, but hundreds claim they’re still waiting for their payment.

“We’re engaged in this monumental process trying to get compensation to all these homeless people,” Osha Neumann, an attorney with the East Bay Community Law Center who is representing the homeless plaintiffs in the suit, told The Mercury News. “I think it’s unprecedented. I’ve never heard of anything similar happening.”

Caltrans settled with the plaintiffs in the case Sanchez v. Caltrans — a lawsuit that claimed that the agency illegally removed and destroyed the belongings of people who had camped out in East Bay — and has paid about $1.3 million directly to those affected. However, over 720 people claim that they still have yet to receive the restitution they are owed for the destruction of their belongings, which in one case included the ashes of a family member.

“It looked like a lot of stuff was simply bulldozed into a pile, and that is disturbing that that happened,” Neumann said, referring to the clearing of a homeless encampment in Oakland last month. “So we’re monitoring that very carefully.”

Due to the influx of responses, the court extended the deadline past its initial end date of last Friday until Dec. 14. Neumann said that he estimates as many as 1,500 people could qualify for financial restitution under the agreement.

“I think we’re going to miss people,” he said. “That has worried me. I know there are people who I contacted way at the beginning of the case who I don’t know where they are now.”

Theodore Bunker

Theodore Bunker, a Newsmax writer, has more than a decade covering news, media, and politics.

© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.


US
The California Department of Transportation agreed to pay $5.5 million over claims that the agency illegally removed and destroyed property that belonged to various homeless residents in East Bay, but hundreds claim they're still waiting for their payment. "We're engaged in...
california, homeless, east bay, caltrans, lawsuit
282
2020-58-20
Tuesday, 20 October 2020 11:58 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
TOP

Interest-Based Advertising | Do not sell or share my personal information

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Download the Newsmax App
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved