Zika warnings in the Wynwood neighborhood of Miami were lifted after Florida Gov. Rick Scott declared the Miami neighborhood to be free of the Zika virus on Monday.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lifted travel warnings that had been in place for nearly two months, and Scott encouraged tourists and residents of Wynwood to return to the area, USA Today noted.
The first local Zika cases were found in Wynwood in July, and about 80 people have been infected since the outbreak started, ABC News reported.
The Zika virus is spread by the Aedes aegypti mosquito and also reportedly can be spread through sexual contact.
“We understand that this has been a difficult time for Wynwood residents and visitors,” CDC Director Dr. Tom Frieden said in a statement Monday. “We’ve reached this point because of the tremendous progress with mosquito control in the affected area, including the combination of aerial application of the larvicide Bti and the adulticide Naled, and rigorous investigation of possible Zika infections by Florida health officials. Still, we encourage people not to let down their guard.”
“We want to continue to emphasize to pregnant women that they still should consider postponing non-essential travel for all of Miami-Dade (County). That is still in effect,” CDC spokesman Tom Skinner said, according to Reuters.
Wynwood is a former warehouse district that has transformed into a place of outdoor restaurants, bars and studios, USA Today noted.
“We are open. We are safe,” Albert Garcia, the district’s vice chairman, told USA Today.
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.