Seven years have passed since Wade Robson and James Safechuck filed lawsuits accusing Michael Jackson of molesting them when they were boys. The cases were later dismissed but the two may still get their day in court, The Sun reported Monday.
The lawsuits were initially chucked because of statutes of limitations that had expired, but new legislation in California allows accusers to bring their accusations to court until age 40, up from age 26.
The decision does not put the Jackson estate as a defendant, but rather Jackson's corporations, MJJ Productions, Inc., and MJJ Ventures, Inc., Vanity Fair recently noted.
The new state law was signed late last year by Gov. Gavin Newsom, allowing Robson's and Safechuck's lawsuits to be reconsidered.
Their attorney Vince Finaldi recently confirmed the news outside a downtown Los Angeles courtroom during which his two clients sat down for a brief hearing.
"All they've ever wanted is their day in court," Finaldi said.
Attorneys from Jackson's estate have long dismissed the claims but have accepted that the new legislation means the case should return to the trial court.
"This new law extends the time for genuine victims of abuse to file legal claims," Jackson estate attorney Howard L. Weitzman said in a statement.
"The appellate court's tentative ruling is not on the merits of Robson and Safechuck's allegations and the court in no way said that these cases will go to trial. Neither does it reverse the 2015 rulings dismissing Robson and Safechuck's claims against the estate, which are final and no longer subject to any appeals."
Weitzman said he was confident that the claims against Jackson's corporations would "be dismissed as has happened before."
An unnamed source connected to the Jackson estate told The Sun that the allegations brought to light by Robson and Safechuck in HBO's "Leaving Neverland" were "just a fraction of what is expected to be discussed" once the trial is underway.
"Sadly every allegation, every accusation, moment and disturbing claim that they have made on that TV show will be delved into in detail," the source said.
"Their legal team plans to paint their picture of Michael as a molester to the jury. It will be a devastating portrayal by those two men as they are desperate to tell the world in court what they allege about Michael."
The source added that the trial would cost millions and could see the accusers awarded "tens of millions" should they win the case.
© 2022 Newsmax. All rights reserved.