Skip to main content
Tags: justine damond | lawsuit | shooting | police officers

Justine Damond Lawsuit Seeks Damages of Minneapolis Police in Shooting

Justine Damond Lawsuit Seeks Damages of Minneapolis Police in Shooting
Valerie Castile, center, mother of Philando Castile who was killed by a police officer last year, marches in memory of Justine Damond on July 20, 2017 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. (STEPHEN MATUREN/AFP/Getty Images)

Monday, 23 July 2018 03:43 PM EDT

Justine Damond's family filed a lawsuit Monday against the Minneapolis police officers who shot and killed the Australian woman last year after she called them to report a suspected crime near her home, saying they had violated her civil rights.

The fatal July 2017 shooting of 40-year-old life coach Justine Ruszczyk Damond sparked international outrage, coming amid a wave of U.S. police shootings that drove a debate over the use of force by law enforcement, Reuters reported.

Ex-Minneapolis Police Department officer Mohamed Noor was charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter for shooting Damond through the door of his patrol car as she approached him after calling police to say she thought she had heard a woman being raped.

Noor was fired the day the charges were filed and is free on $400,000 bail ahead of trial. His lawyers have said he will plead not guilty at trial and will argue he used reasonable force in the fatal incident.

The civil suit, which was filed in federal district court in Minnesota, names Noor and his partner Matthew Harrity, and accuses them of conspiring to conceal the facts around the shooting of Damond and failing to record the incident on their body cameras. The suit also referenced their age - Noor was 32, Harrity was 25 - and called them "inexperienced officers who appear, by their conduct, unfit for duty."

The suit also names the city of Minneapolis and its current and former police chiefs as defendants.

City officials declined immediate comment and attorneys for Noor and Harrity did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The lawsuit, filed on behalf of Ruszczyk's father, John Ruszczyk, seeks more than $50 million in damages for four claims. The victim had taken the name of her American fiance, Don Damond, ahead of their planned wedding.

The family's attorney, Bob Bennett, reached a nearly $3 million settlement in a civil rights lawsuit filed after police shot and killed black motorist Philando Castile of St. Paul, Minnesota, during a traffic stop in July 2016.

In Damond's case, Harrity, who was driving the police car, said he was startled by a loud sound and both officers "got spooked" when Damond appeared, prosecutors said.

Among those expressing outrage over Damond's shooting was Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, who called it "inexplicable." After the shooting, Minneapolis officials said procedures had been violated and Damond "didn't have to die."

© 2026 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.


TheWire
Justine Damond's family filed a lawsuit Monday against the Minneapolis police officers who shot and killed the Australian woman last year after she called them to report a suspected crime near her home, saying they had violated her civil rights.
justine damond, lawsuit, shooting, police officers
401
2018-43-23
Monday, 23 July 2018 03:43 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
TOP

Interest-Based Advertising | Do not sell or share my personal information

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Download the Newsmax App
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved