Actor James Woods slammed Alyssa Milano on Thursday for condemning the recent increase in gun sales in the U.S. as the coronavirus continues to spread. The two locked horns on whether or not the surge in firearm purchases could provide safety to families or put them at risk of violence.
Milano has long been calling for stricter gun control measures and made her stance clear on social media when she shared statistics of the recent surge in gun purchases and called for the public to refrain from bringing "dangerous firearms" into their homes.
"Americans bought over 2 million firearms in March of 2020, over a million more than this time last year," the left-leaning star wrote in a post to Twitter. "We have to keep each other safe by social distancing and washing our hands and not bringing dangerous firearms into our homes."
Woods was quick to respond to Milano, stating that gun-buyers were acting out of concern for their safety.
"Thank you for the reminder," the conservative actor wrote in a quote tweet of Milano's post. "When the looting starts, always be prepared. Buy more ammo!"
Many retailers have been forced to put a limit on gun and ammunition sales as people continue to panic-buy amid the coronavirus epidemic.
"People are scared," Drew Plotkin of Los Angeles recently told USA Today. "There's a lot of panic in the world and people want to be protected for the worst-case scenario."
Wisconsin military veteran Ralph Charette added that he was stocking up to protect himself and his family.
"There's so much uncertainty and paranoia but you've got to protect your own," he said.
Zoe Papadakis ✉
Zoe Papadakis is a Newsmax writer based in South Africa with two decades of experience specializing in media and entertainment. She has been in the news industry as a reporter, writer and editor for newspapers, magazine and websites.
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.