Skip to main content
Tags: guardians of the galaxy | cast | james gunn

'Guardians of the Galaxy' Cast: Gunn Should Be Reinstated as Director

'Guardians of the Galaxy' Cast: Gunn Should Be Reinstated as Director
The cast of "Guardians of the Galaxy" wans James Gunn rehired for the third film. (Disney/Marvel)

By    |   Monday, 30 July 2018 04:05 PM EDT

The “Guardians of the Galaxy” cast released a statement Monday supporting James Gunn and saying each of them wants the director rehired for the third installment of the series.

Disney fired Gunn from the project after offensive tweets he made years ago about rape and pedophilia were made public again, drawing outrage.

"We fully support James Gunn," said a statement signed by "Guardians of the Galaxy" cast members Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, and others.

"We were all shocked by his abrupt firing last week and have intentionally waited these ten days to respond in order to think, pray, listen, and discuss," the statement continued. "In that time, we’ve been encouraged by the outpouring of support from fans and members of the media who wish to see James reinstated as director of Volume 3 as well as discouraged by those so easily duped into believing the many outlandish conspiracy theories surrounding him."

The cast members said they were disturbed by “character assassinations” and “mob mentality” that occur from dredging up old social media remarks. “There is little due process in the court of public opinion. James is likely not the last good person to be put on trial.”

In apologizing for the old tweets, Gunn said the social-media posts of “nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative,” Variety reported.

Alan Horn, chairman of Walt Disney Studios, called Gunn’s old remarks “indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values” when the director was terminated.

Gunn has received support from other Hollywood celebrities, but the cast statement could help in changing the minds of Disney executives.

The "Guardians of the Galaxy" cast members seemed optimistic when they pointed out: “Each of us looks forward to working with our friend James again in the future. His story isn’t over — not by a long shot.”

© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.


TheWire
The "Guardians of the Galaxy" cast released a statement Monday supporting James Gunn and saying each of them wants the director rehired for the third installment of the series.
guardians of the galaxy, cast, james gunn
350
2018-05-30
Monday, 30 July 2018 04:05 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
TOP

Interest-Based Advertising | Do not sell or share my personal information

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Download the Newsmax App
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved