Tags: burglar | stuck | chimney | dies | fire

Burglar Stuck in Chimney Dies After Homeowner Unknowingly Lights a Fire

Image: Burglar Stuck in Chimney Dies After Homeowner Unknowingly Lights a Fire
(Fresno Sheriff press release)

By    |   Tuesday, 01 Dec 2015 12:13 PM

A burglar who was stuck in the chimney of a California home died over the weekend when the homeowner unknowingly lit a fire.

Fresno County authorities told The Fresno Bee that 19-year-old Cody Caldwell died from smoke inhalation and burns before firefighters could get him out of the chimney.

A Huron homeowner reportedly called 911 around 3 p.m. Saturday to say he heard screams after lighting a fire, Lt. Brandon Pursell with the Fresno County Sheriff's Office told the newspaper. The resident extinguished the flames immediately upon hearing the yelling.

In a press release from the sheriff's office, authorities said Caldwell appeared to "still be breathing and moving inside the chimney" about 10 minutes after the emergency crews were called.

Emergency personnel smashed a hole in the chimney to get to Caldwell, but he was pronounced dead at the scene, according to The Bee. Authorities said they believe the teen attempted to break into the house during the night on Nov. 27 and had been stuck in the chimney all day. The homeowner had been away from home all night.

The unusual and tragic death received even more attention online when Fox host Anna Kooiman couldn't stop laughing during the report on how Caldwell died.




This isn't the first time a burglar has tried unsuccessfully to enter a home through the chimney. In 2010, a man got stuck in a chimney for seven hours in Seattle, KGW reported, and he was later charged with attempted burglary.

In 2003, another man was rescued and arrested after he tried to break into a New York Italian restaurant through the chimney, the Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
A burglar who was stuck in the chimney of a California home died over the weekend when the homeowner unknowingly lit a fire.
burglar, stuck, chimney, dies, fire
300
2015-13-01
Tuesday, 01 Dec 2015 12:13 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved