Amanda Peterson, star of the 1987 romantic movie "Can't Buy Me Love," died in July from an accidental overdose.
In a coroner's report released to The Wrap
on Monday, Peterson's cause of death was "accidental acute morphine toxicity."
Peterson, 43, battled with addiction problems for years. She was found dead in her apartment on July 5, and it was estimated she died two days before that, The Wrap said.
reported in July that the star had been arrested multiple times since she left the Hollywood scene, including a 2012 arrest for DUI and possession of narcotic equipment. In 2010, she was arrested for third-degree assault, and at the time police said she "appeared intoxicated." Her boyfriend reportedly told police that she was taking prescription medication for ADD and bipolar disorder, which affected her ability to drink, the magazine said.
Peterson's family has said repeatedly after her death that she had been clean, and her mother, Sylvia Peterson, told ET Online
, "This was not in any way a drug thing."
Peterson came to stardom when she was 15, playing opposite Patrick Dempsey in "Can't Buy Me Love," although she had played in many commercials and had numerous guest-starring roles, including a small role at age 9 in "Annie," according to IMdB
In 1994, Peterson made the decision to leave Hollywood and the entertainment life.
In one of her "Best Quotes" highlighted by Hollywood Life
, Peterson said, "It is funny you know, you spend 12 years of your life learning about things and about life, but they never really tell you how hard life really is."
As news of the cause of Peterson's death filtered through the media, many went online to comment. In a YouTube
post of "Can't Buy Me Love," one person wrote, "Amanda showed us parts of herself in this movie, everyone is trying the best they can, no one is perfect. Thanks for enriching the lives of all the people that liked your acting. Rest in peace."
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.