Skip to main content
Tags: james mattis | defense secretary | transgender | gender dysphoria

Report: Mattis 'Prepared to Defend' Gender Dysphoria Ban

Report: Mattis 'Prepared to Defend' Gender Dysphoria Ban
Defense Secretary James Mattis (Andrew Harnik/AP)

By    |   Thursday, 12 April 2018 09:14 PM EDT

Defense Secretary James Mattis said Thursday he is "prepared to defend" a policy banning any individuals who have a history or diagnosis of gender dysphoria, Stars and Stripes reported.

In testimony to the House Armed Services Committee, Mattis faced stern questioning about the contentious policy.

Citing the case of Air Force Staff Sgt. Logan Ireland, a transgender service member who served in Afghanistan, Rep. Jackie Speier, D-Calif., asked Mattis: "Do you believe that currently serving transgender troops like Staff Sgt. Ireland are a burden to our military?"

"It's a highly charged issue from some people's perspective, and it is under litigation right now," Mattis responded. "So, out of respect for the courts, I will just tell you the current policy stays in effect, the last administration's policy as directed by the courts."

"I gave a recommendation that troops, patriotic Americans who do not have gender dysphoria should be allowed to serve," Mattis said, the Washington Examiner reported. "I did not recommend that we change the standards that apply to all in that regard, or make a special group.

"And I prefer to leave the courts to their action at this point, and then see where they stand at the end of it."

"Well Mr. Secretary you rolled out this new policy, and now you are saying you are not prepared to defend it," Speier responded.

"Oh, I'm prepared to defend it ma'am," Mattis shot back. "But out of respect for the courts, I do not want intrude into something that would be inappropriate for me to say, something that would somehow impact a court case."

Late last month, President Donald Trump signed a memo banning most transgender individuals from serving in the military, but giving the armed forces some latitude in implementing policies.

The memo said transgender individuals with a history of "gender dysphoria," which was defined as "those who may require substantial medical treatment, including through medical drugs or surgery," are disqualified from military service "except under certain limited circumstances."

© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.


Politics
Defense Secretary James Mattis is "prepared to defend" a policy banning any individuals who have a history or diagnosis of gender dysphoria, he told Stars and Stripes.
james mattis, defense secretary, transgender, gender dysphoria
331
2018-14-12
Thursday, 12 April 2018 09:14 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
TOP

Interest-Based Advertising | Do not sell or share my personal information

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Download the Newsmax App
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved