The United States must attempt to hammer out a brand new deal with Iran now that President Donald Trump has blown up the Obama-era nuclear agreement - but it won't be easy, Paul Vallely, a retired U.S. Army major general, told Newsmax TV on Wednesday.
"It would have to be an entirely new deal," Vallely, who now chairs the patriotic nonprofit Stand Up America, said to Miranda Khan, John Cardillo and Gina Loudon on Newsmax's "America Talks Live."
"Because the first one was very badly done by the na·ive·té of [then-secretary of state] John Kerry and President Obama, who are very inarticulate and do not understand the full range of capability and future of plans for Iran in their nuclear development program.
Important: Newsmax TV is available on DirecTV Ch. 349, U-Verse 1220, DISH 216, and FiOS 615. If your cable operator does not have Newsmax TV just call and ask them to put us on – Call toll-free 1-844-500-6397 and we will connect you right away to your cable operator!
For more places to Find Newsmax TV – Click Here Now
"So I think from that stand point, what has to be done now is an entirely new agreement of some kind, but I doubt the Mullahs are going to go along with it."
Still, Vallely believes in Trump's successful get-tough approach with North Korea – which is resulting in the president's upcoming meeting with Kim Jong Un – that using heavy pressure on Iran could also be productive.
"So far it's been successful in North Korea that approach," he said, adding that the U.S. should keep pushing for a return to the "democratic process" in Iran.
Vallely, who served in the Vietnam War and retired in 1993 as deputy commanding general, Pacific Command. He is the author of "Endgame: The Blueprint for Victory in the War on Terror," written with retired Lt. Gen. Thomas McInerney and published by Regnery.
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.