The widow of a person killed in Saturday's shooting in Odessa, Texas, appealed to President Donald Trump to say he "wants Americans to be safe again."
"The Congress, somebody needs to do something fast before another victim, another family, another kid [is left] without a dad," Bari Arco, the widow of Rudolfo Arco, one of the seven people killed in the West Texas violence, said during a CNN "Newsroom" interview on Tuesday. "That's uncalled for. Please do something."
Trump had indicated he supports expanding background check legislation following the shootings last month in El Paso and Dayton, but Sunday, after the Odessa massacre, said "we're looking at the same things," and "It really hasn't changed anything."
Arco described her late husband as an "awesome Cuban man, a hard-working guy, and he didn't deserve the way that he died. My kids don't deserve to not have a dad because somebody had a gun and decided to kill people. So, I want that somebody takes a step forward."
She added her family left Cuba because "we hate Communists" and had believed that once in America, they would be safe, but despite the U.S. being the "best country, the best everything," that has not happened.
"Look what happened," Arco added. "Just he was coming home from work, driving his truck and that's it. He's gone."
Democrats are calling on Senate to take up a House that expands background checks for all gun purchases, but Tuesday, ABC News reported the gunman in Odessa was able to buy his gun through a private seller after he failed an earlier background check.
Sandy Fitzgerald ✉
Sandy Fitzgerald has more than three decades in journalism and serves as a general assignment writer for Newsmax covering news, media, and politics.
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.