Tags: Media Bias | Trump Administration | jim acosta | liberal activist | cnn | media credential | court order

CNN: White House Pulling Acosta's Access Again

president donald trump points at the mic hogging jim acosta at an infamous news conference
President Donald Trump points at CNN's Jim Acosta at the infamous news conference. (Oliver Contreras/AP)

By    |   Monday, 19 November 2018 09:15 AM

Shortly after a federal court restored CNN reporter Jim Acosta's press pass, the White House took almost immediate action to contest his access, sending the journalist a letter saying his pass will be suspended again after the court's restraining order has expired, according to the network.

CNN, in a court filing Monday, said it and Acosta hope the parties can resolve the dispute without further court intervention, the network reported.

"From the looks of the letter, the W.H. is trying to establish a paper trail that will empower the administration to boot Acosta again at the end of the month," CNN's Brian Stelter wrote in his "Reliable Sources" newsletter.

Press Secretary Sarah Sanders and deputy chief of staff for communications Bill Shine signed the letter, and signaled the administration wants to keep fighting Acosta, CNN said Monday. The network's attorneys said the letter is an "attempt to provide retroactive due process."

CNN and Acosta want a hearing for a preliminary injunction the week of Nov. 26, or as soon as possible after, according to Monday's court filings.

CNN issued a statement accusing the White House of "continuing to violate the First and Fifth Amendments of the Constitution," reports Axios. "These actions threaten all journalists and news organizations. Jim Acosta and CNN will continue to report the news about the White House and the president."

Axios also Monday reported an unnamed White House official said a decision will be made after hearing the case, and said the White House had sent a letter to CNN that gives a chance for the reporter to make his case for continued White House access.

Acosta was blocked after he and President Donald Trump clashed during a press conference earlier this month, and was accused by the administration of pushing away an intern trying to take a microphone from him.

Trump told Fox News' Chris Wallace in an interview Sunday, if Acosta "misbehaves, we'll throw him out or we'll stop the news conference."

Sanders, in an interview Friday on Fox News' "Hannity," told her father, former Arkansas GOP Gov. Mike Huckabee, a letter had been sent to CNN, and it is "frankly laughable" the network claims its access has been hindered.

© 2020 Newsmax. All rights reserved.


   
1Like our page
2Share
Newsfront
Shortly after a federal court restored CNN reporter Jim Acosta's press pass, the White House took almost immediate action to contest his access, sending the journalist a letter saying his pass will be suspended again after the court's restraining order has expired,
jim acosta, liberal activist, cnn, media credential, court order
366
2018-15-19
Monday, 19 November 2018 09:15 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved