James Comey has told agents President Donald Trump has asked him to stay on as FBI director, The New York Times reported Tuesday.
The Times reported the president first talked to Comey about remaining as director earlier this month at an intelligence briefing.
Further, Trump's transition team reassured Comey the president would not ask him to step down, with Chief of Staff Reince Priebus calling him "extremely competent."
Comey last week told special agents in charge on a conference call he would be staying on.
FBI directors are appointed to 10-year terms; Comey was appointed by President Obama in 2013. They can be fired for cause.
Many – mostly Democrats – have called for Comey's termination following his perceived influencing the election when he announced further investigation into Hillary Clinton's emails, mere days before the election.
The Justice Department's inspector general has launched a probe investigating Comey's handling of Clinton's emails.
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.