More than half — 55% — of Americans now identify as pro-choice, according to a new Gallup poll.
The poll, conducted mostly after the draft of a Supreme Court decision on abortion rights was leaked, found that the pro-choice sentiment is the highest Gallup has measured since 1995, when it hit 56% The current number also marks a 6-percentage-point gain compared to a poll taken in 2021.
Results of the poll, released Thursday:
- 39% identified as pro-life.
- 52% said abortion is morally acceptable; 38% say it is morally wrong.
- 23% of Republicans identified as pro-choice.
- 88% of Democrats identified as pro-choice.
- 54% of independents said they are pro-choice.
- 67% support legal abortion in the first trimester; 27% oppose it.
- 55% are against abortion in the second three months; 36% believe it should be legal.
The poll, conducted May 2-22, sampled 1,007 people. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.
© 2022 Newsmax. All rights reserved.