Skip to main content
Tags: e-cigarette | vaping | pens | flavors | public health

Public Health Groups: Trump Vape Ban Doesn't Go Far Enough

Flavored Vape Juices. The FDA is considering vaping regulations to deter children from getting addicted to nicotine II
Flavored Vape Juices (Jonathan Weiss/Dreamstime)

By    |   Thursday, 02 January 2020 04:49 PM EST

The Trump administration's supposed plan to ban most flavored e-cigarette pods has angered several public health groups who say it does not go far enough, reports The Washington Post.

Trump vowed a crackdown on vaping three months ago, but the decision to slightly roll back vape bans will likely appease his conservative base. The new restrictions, which will likely be announced Friday, will not apply to menthol and tobacco-flavored pods or "open tank" systems sold in vape shops.

Harold Wimmer, president and chief executive of the American Lung Association, said in a statement Wednesday the plan "will only compromise the health of our nation's children" and it was "disturbing to see the results of industry lobbying to undermine public health protections."

The move comes as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention continues to deal with a deadly vaping lung illness that has taken the lives of 55 people across 27 states. The total number of people hospitalized with the illness stands at 2,561 so far this year.

"We needed major surgery and instead what we got is a bad Band-Aid," said Robin Koval, chief executive and president of Truth Initiative.

"The products being impacted appear to be significant contributors to the recent rise in teen usage," he said. "To say this is not going to do anything is pure political rhetoric."

Former Food and Drug Administration commissioner Scott Gott­lieb warned the ban would have only "a limited impact."

Solange Reyner

Solange Reyner is a writer and editor for Newsmax. She has more than 15 years in the journalism industry reporting and covering news, sports and politics.

© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.


Newsfront
Several public health groups say the Trump administration's supposed plan to ban most flavored e-cigarette pods does not go far enough, The Washington Post reported.
e-cigarette, vaping, pens, flavors, public health
240
2020-49-02
Thursday, 02 January 2020 04:49 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
TOP

Interest-Based Advertising | Do not sell or share my personal information

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Download the Newsmax App
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved