Skip to main content
Tags: devin patrick kelley | texas | church | shooter | autopsy | suicide

Devin Patrick Kelley Autopsy: Texas Church Shooter Killed Self

Devin Patrick Kelley Autopsy: Texas Church Shooter Killed Self
Stephen Willeford, right, hugs Johnnie Langendorff during a vigil for the victims of the First Baptist Church shooting last November in Sutherland Springs, Texas. Willeford shot at suspect Devin Patrick Kelley and Langendorff drove the truck while they chased Kelley. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)

Friday, 29 June 2018 11:26 AM EDT

Devin Patrick Kelley, the gunman responsible for the deadliest mass shooting in Texas history, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound and also had drugs in his system, according to an autopsy report released on Thursday.

Kelley, 26, opened fire during church services on the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs last November, killing more than two dozen people. He was later found dead in a vehicle after he was shot and chased by two men who heard the gunfire at the church.

The autopsy released by the Travis County Medical Examiner's Office said Kelley's cause of death is suicide from a single gunshot wound to the head. The autopsy, first reported on by San Antonio TV station KENS, also says toxicology tests detected marijuana and anti-anxiety drugs in his system.

Dressed all in black and wearing tactical gear, Kelley burst into the church and opened fire on worshippers as he walked down the center aisle, authorities and witnesses said. The autopsy noted that Kelley was wearing a vest, utility belt, and all-black clothing, including his undergarments, socks and boots.

Among the dead were several children, the pastor's daughter and a pregnant woman.

Investigators have said the attack appeared to stem from a domestic dispute Kelley was having with his mother-in-law, a member of the church who wasn't present that day. Kelley had been discharged from the Air Force for assaulting his wife and child, and served 12 months' confinement following a 2012 court-martial.

One family that lost several relatives during the mass shooting has sued the federal government, saying that even though Kelley was criminally convicted the military failed to enter the information into a database used to conduct background checks of gun buyers. The error, according to the lawsuit, allowed Kelley to buy the assault-style rifle he used in the attack.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


TheWire
Devin Patrick Kelley, the gunman responsible for the deadliest mass shooting in Texas history, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound and also had drugs in his system, according to an autopsy report released on Thursday.
devin patrick kelley, texas, church, shooter, autopsy, suicide
302
2018-26-29
Friday, 29 June 2018 11:26 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
TOP

Interest-Based Advertising | Do not sell or share my personal information

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Download the Newsmax App
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved