The State Department is doing “everything we can” to release additional emails from Hillary Clinton’s tenure as the top U.S. diplomat, Secretary of State Michael Pompeo said, reaffirming a vow he made after President Donald Trump criticized him for not doing more.
“We’ll continue to do the right thing, we’ll make sure that all these emails get to the right place,” Pompeo told reporters Wednesday. “We will do everything we can to make sure that the American people get a chance to see as much as we can equitably produce.”
The secretary of state has been on the defensive after Trump said last week that he wasn’t happy with Pompeo -- one of his closest advisers -- because the State Department still hadn’t released some of Clinton’s emails. At the time, Pompeo said there will be “more to see before the election.” On Wednesday he described the release of the emails as an “ongoing” process.
The FBI declined in 2016 to prosecute Clinton for sending classified emails through a private server housed at her New York home. Some 35,000 of Clinton’s emails have been published on the State Department’s website, but Trump has demanded that thousands more emails be made public.
As he lags Democrat Joe Biden in polls ahead of the Nov. 3 election, Trump has renewed his “lock her up” theme that Clinton should be prosecuted for perceived wrongdoing. He’s said the same of other Democrats, including Biden and former President Barack Obama.
© Copyright 2021 Bloomberg News. All rights reserved.