Skip to main content
Tags: pentagon | troops | kabul

Pentagon Authorizes Additional 1,000 Troops for Kabul Evacuation

overhead view of the pentagon
(AFP via Getty Images)

Sunday, 15 August 2021 05:59 PM EDT

The Pentagon authorized an additional 1,000 troops to help with the evacuation from Kabul, a U.S. official said on Sunday, bringing the total number of troops expected in Afghanistan temporarily to 6,000.

The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the additional 1,000 troops would come from the 82nd Airborne Division, which had already been on standby.

© 2026 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.


Headline
pentagon, troops, kabul
57
2021-59-15
Sunday, 15 August 2021 05:59 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
TOP

Interest-Based Advertising | Do not sell or share my personal information

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Download the Newsmax App
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved