Upset stomach, nausea, or vomiting can ruin the day or several days of a cruise vacation. Travelers who take preventive measures beforehand benefit from simple natural remedies that avoid seasickness.
There are over-the-counter medications that help prevent motion sickness, but natural alternatives are also available. These remedies often help overcome the causes of seasickness, such as rough seas or even the mind tricking itself into making you feel sick.
Seasickness on a cruise might also be caused by visual disorientation from imbalance because of the ship’s motion.
Latest: What's Your Favorite Type of Vacation? Relaxing or Exploring?
These six natural remedies offer help in avoiding seasickness:
1. Ginger — Ginger candy, cookies, tablets, or capsules may relieve mild symptoms for many people, according to USA Today. It’s recommended passengers start using the natural remedies at least 24 hours before embarking on a cruise.
2. Wristbands — Brands such as Sea-Band and BioBands are sold in drugstores and may prevent symptoms of seasickness from occurring. The wristbands have a round knob that puts acupressure on points in the wrist to control nausea.
3. Climbing to the top deck — Travelers who feel the beginnings of nausea or seasickness may find relief by getting to the top deck where the motion is not as profound. Looking out at the horizon and focusing on a fixed point reduces the stimuli that may trigger symptoms.
Tell Us: What Part of the World Do You Like to Visit?
4. Self-control — If you believe or convince yourself you will get sick, it could cause the illness. Avoiding powers of suggestion helps to prevent seasickness, according to Alara Shannon at iCruise.com. By using the mind to stay in control and staying focused on ship activities, passengers avoid unhealthy influences.
5. Cruise options — An outside cabin in the middle of the ship provides travelers with a balance point, Cruise Critic notes. A window view also helps with a focus point to maintain equilibrium. Choosing to cruise on larger, modern ships offers more stabilization for a smooth ride.
6. Lying down — Simply by lying down and closing your eyes if you are hit with seasickness helps to comfort the middle ear, which can cause motion sickness, according to Chuckie Bags. It relieves tension and avoids conflicting messages that contribute to illness.
Vote Now: Should the Government Be Doing More to Promote Tourism in America?
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.