Although Arkansas does not border Mexico, its population along with its government still deal with a large percentage of illegal aliens crossing its borders.
Here is a list of five facts regarding Arkansas’ relationship to illegal immigrants.
1. The percentage of undocumented aliens among Arkansas' immigrant population leads the nation, according to The Washington Post
. Although eight other states estimate at least 40 percent of immigrants are illegal, 45 percent of Arkansas' immigrant population is considered undocumented.
2. The Federation of American Immigration Reform calculated the cost
of illegal immigration in the state of Arkansas at $224 million according to 2010 estimates. FAIR figures the sum costs each household, headed by an American citizen, $229.
Urgent: Do You Support Immigration Reform?
3. Arkansas ranks 30th in the nation in population size of illegal immigrants. Its illegal alien population is estimated at 27,000, according to StateMaster.com
4. Although Arkansas has a high percentage of illegal immigrants its Latino population has a history of being well employed, according to Arkansas Times
. During the midst of the recession in 2009, 88 percent of Latino men in Arkansas were employed, which was higher than any other ethnic group of immigrants or native-born citizens.
5. Although Arkansas employment of Latinos is high, the state does enforce strict anti-hiring undocumented immigrant laws. According to Legal Match
, a first-time offender who hires an illegal immigrant pays a fine of $250 to $2,000. Penalties, including jail time, escalate for repeat offenses.
Vote Now: Do You Support Amnesty for Illegal Immigrants?
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.