Tags: caffeine | drink | overdose

Caffeine Drink Overdose: 3 Jolts in 2 Hours Led to Teen's Death

Image: Caffeine Drink Overdose: 3 Jolts in 2 Hours Led to Teen's Death
(Dreamstime.com)

By    |   Tuesday, 16 May 2017 07:19 AM

A caffeine drink overdose after consuming three of them within a two-hour period contributed to a teen's death last month, a South Carolina coroner ruled on Monday.

Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said Spring Hill High School student Davis Allen Cripe, 16, died on April 26 of a "caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia," according to The State.

Watts said Cripe bought a latte from McDonald's around 12:30 p.m., and then a Diet Mountain Dew "a little time after that," followed by an energy drink sometime after the soda. The State said Watts declined to name the energy drink.

Davis collapsed in class and emergency personnel were called at 2:28 p.m. The teenager was pronounced dead at Palmetto Health Baptist Parkridge Hospital at 3:40 p.m.

"Caffeine prompts the release of natural compounds called catecholamines, including norepinephrine, a stress hormone that can speed the heart rate," said NBC News' Maggie Fox. "People who have died from documented caffeine overdoses had irregular and rapid heart rates, seizures and sometimes choked on their own vomit."

"A 12-ounce Mountain Dew contains 54 milligrams of caffeine. McDonald's does not report the amount of caffeine in its coffee," she noted.

CNN said Davis' autopsy showed no undiagnosed heart conditions and that the teenager was healthy and had no conditions that could have triggered by the caffeine intake.

"Like all parents, we worry about our kids as they grow up," Cripe's father, Sean Cripe, said at a news conference, per CNN. "We worry about their safety, their health, especially once they start driving. But it wasn't a car crash that took his life. Instead, it was an energy drink."

Watts, though, pushed back on describing the teen's use of caffeine as an "overdose," said CNN.

"This was not an overdose. We lost Davis from a totally legal substance," Watts said. "Our purpose here today is to let people know, especially our young kids in school, that these drinks can be dangerous, and be very careful with how you use them, and how many you drink on a daily basis."

Research released by the Journal of the American Heart Association last month said drinking 32 ounces of a commercially available energy drink resulted in more profound changes in the heart's electrical activity and blood pressure than drinking 32 ounces of a control drink with the same amount of caffeine – 320 milligrams.

The heart association said there are more than 500 types of energy drinks on the market and there has been an increase in energy-drink-associated emergency room visits and deaths, raising questions about safety.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
A caffeine drink overdose after consuming three of them within a two-hour period contributed to a teen's death last month, a South Carolina coroner ruled on Monday.
caffeine, drink, overdose
430
2017-19-16
Tuesday, 16 May 2017 07:19 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved