GAO Report Finds Billions in Taxpayer Money Wasted

Tuesday, 09 Apr 2013 11:13 PM

By Matthew Auerbach

Share:
More . . .
A    A   |
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
The Government Accountability Office released a study Tuesday that uncovered 31 new areas of wasteful spending that are costing taxpayers tens of billions of dollars each year, the Hill reports.

Taken in tandem with similar studies issued in 2011 and 2012, the report uncovered over 160 areas of unnecessary spending.

“We can’t afford to continue to operate the way we’re operating,” U.S. Comptroller General Gene Dodaro said as she addressed lawmakers at the end of a hearing on the report.

“We can do better.”

The White House responded to the report’s findings by asserting that progress had been on more than 100 areas of duplicative spending, and said President Obama’s upcoming budget proposal will present hundreds more in cuts, savings and consolidations.

“From day one, the president has made rooting out waste and improving the way government works a top priority,” said Danny Werfel, controller of the White House Office of Federal Financial Management.

“We are committed to building on the progress that’s been made.”

The GAO documented wasteful spending across a plethora of federal agencies, including $8.35 billion over 10 years for an unproven Medicare Advantage bonus program and billions more lost as a result of untargeted enforcement by the Internal Revenue Service.

The study does more than point the finger of blame at these agencies.

The study puts forth more than 80 recommendations to reduce the wasteful spending, in addition to more than 300 that were issued in the previous two reports.

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., the top Republican on the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, took the Obama administration and lawmakers on the hill to task for not having a hands-on approach to dealing with this issue.

“It is unconscionable and immoral for Congress and the administration to ignore this problem,” said Coburn Tuesday in a written statement.





© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
More . . .
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
Around the Web
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus
Top Stories
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Sequester Grounds Blue Angels for Rest of 2013

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 10:44 AM

Federal budget cuts have forced the U.S. Air Force to ground about a third of its active-duty force of combat planes and . . .

11 Years Later, Government Responds to 9/11 Records Request

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 11:12 AM

Two government agencies took eleven years to respond to a Freedom of Information Act request, and in the end deferred th . . .

$1.1B in Cubism Art Donated by Estee Lauder Heir

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 11:04 AM

Leonard Lauder, the 80-year-old heir to the Estee Lauder fortune, has donated $1.1 billion in Cubism art to New York Cit . . .

 
 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved