Following are some quotes from celebrities reacting to New York senators passing, and Gov. Andrew Cuomo signing, legislation making gay marriage legal in New York:
- "I can't stop crying. We did it kids." — Lady Gaga, on Twitter.
- "happy gays r here again !!!!!" — Rosie O'Donnell, on Twitter.
- "I have never been prouder to be a lifelong New Yorker than I am today with the passage of marriage equality." — Cyndi Lauper, in a statement.
- "Time to celebrate!!! Marriage Equality for NYers! Its about... love!" — Ricky Martin, on Twitter.
- "It PASSED! Marriage equality in NY!! Yes!! Progress!! Thank you everyone who worked so hard on this!! A historic night!" — Neil Patrick Harris, on Twitter.
- "I'm thrilled about the news from NY. Marriage equality! Every day we get a little closer. What an amazing feeling." — Ellen DeGeneres, on Twitter.
- "tonight we're all New Yorkers! Straight & gay alike, let's all celebrate marriage (hash)equality. The right side of history!" — Kathy Griffin, on Twitter.
- "Happy that New York passed marriage equality tonight. A victory for human rights. Progress." — John Legend, on Twitter.
- "congratulations!!!!!!!!! About time!" — Pink, on Twitter.
- "Alec! Now we can get married!" — Steve Martin to Alec Baldwin, on Twitter.
- "Ok. But if you play that . . . banjo after eleven o'clock . . . " — Baldwin's response.
- "I sing it every night, but now it has better meaning: 'New York- concrete jungle where dreams are made of, there's nothing you can't do.' :) As if I didn't already have enough to celebrate and enjoy today. A big hug for New York from my lone hotel room in London." — Darren Criss, on Twitter.
- "Way to go, New York. One people. One planet. One love." — Alyssa Milano, on Twitter.
- "Proud to be FROM NY! — Lindsay Lohan, on Twitter.
- "Yay for Gay Marriage! NY, it's about time...jersey we're next! How you doin?" — Wendy Williams, on Twitter.
© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.