Demand for Skilled Worker Visas to Top Quota Soon

Monday, 01 Apr 2013 10:08 PM

 

Share:
More . . .
A    A   |
   Email Us   |
   Print   |

A popular U.S. visa program for skilled workers is likely to hit its quota within days after its application period opens, triggering a lottery and signaling that companies feel confident enough about the economy to hire more foreign workers.

The H-1B program will not have reached its base cap of 65,000 so quickly since early 2008, before the economic crisis hit. That was the last time a lottery was used, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, which processes the applications.

The application period opened on Monday. The USCIS plans to announce by the middle of next week if it will hold a lottery for the visas, a spokesman told Reuters on Monday. It had previously said it anticipated the quota for the year starting Oct. 1 could be met by Friday.

Last year the cap was not reached until June.

Preliminary paperwork that prospective visa seekers must file with the Department of Labor before applying to USCIS indicates that there is demand for well over 65,000 visas, said Jacksonville, Florida-based lawyer Ashwin Sharma, who handles H-1B visa applications for technology consulting firms. He expects a record volume of applications this year.

U.S. companies, particularly in technology, say they need the visas to fill vacant positions. But some worker-advocacy groups counter that the companies are using the visa program to hire cheaper foreign labor.

While the official quota is 65,000, the actual number of people who enter the United States on H-1Bs is far greater because workers at universities and some other workplaces don't count toward the limit. Masters and PhD graduates from U.S. universities have their own quota of 20,000 visas.

Last year, the government issued 129,000 H-1B visas - almost double level of the official quota.

The U.S. Congress is currently working on immigration reform legislation. Among proposals being considered is a revamp of the H-1B program that could raise the quota based on demand and eliminate the lottery.

© 2013 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
More . . .
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
Around the Web
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus
Top Stories
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Michele Bachmann Flees as Press Asks About Ethics Probe

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 22:14 PM

Former GOP presidential hopeful Michele Bachmann reportedly fled a press conference on Tuesday when the line of question . . .

Sen. Manchin Breaks Down, Newtown Families Comfort Him

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 21:21 PM

U.S. Senator Joe Manchin became so emotional on Wednesday about the Newtown massacre and his push for background checks  . . .

CBS Joins Fox in Threat to Move to Cable

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 14:18 PM

CBS is joining the Fox network in threatening to take their broadcasts off the airwaves if Internet startup Aereo Inc. c . . .

 
 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved