Tags: senate | sec | head | white

Senate Confirms New SEC Head, Mary Jo White

Monday, 08 Apr 2013 07:00 PM

By Greg Richter

Share:
More . . .
A    A   |
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
The Senate confirmed Mary Jo White to head the Securities and Exchange Commission Monday in a voice vote.

Both Republicans and Democrats had expressed support for President Barack Obama’s pick to lead the agency, Politico reports. She previously served as the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York where she gained a reputation as a tough prosecutor of mobsters and terrorists.

White cleared the Senate Banking Committee on a 21-1 vote, the lone no-vote being Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, who had issues with White’s stint as a defense attorney for the banking and finance industries.

White assured the committee during her confirmation hearing that she could be effective and that she had spoken with SEC ethics officials on having to recuse herself from some issues. She was told recusals are not unusual for SEC members, she said.

Banking Committee Chairman Tim Johnson, D-S.D., praised White’s quick confirmation, on the first day of Congress’ return from a two-week break.

“After meeting her, listening to her testimony and closely reviewing her qualifications, it came as no surprise that she received such overwhelming bipartisan support for her confirmation,” Johnson said in a written statement Monday.






© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
More . . .
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
Around the Web
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus
Top Stories
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Sen. Manchin Breaks Down, Newtown Families Comfort Him

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 21:21 PM

U.S. Senator Joe Manchin became so emotional on Wednesday about the Newtown massacre and his push for background checks  . . .

CBS Joins Fox in Threat to Move to Cable

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 14:18 PM

CBS is joining the Fox network in threatening to take their broadcasts off the airwaves if Internet startup Aereo Inc. c . . .

Obama Budget Calls for Pentagon Base Closures

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 20:47 PM

The Pentagon is requesting $2.4 billion to fund base closures that would start in 2015, and the GOP is already rejecting . . .

 
 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved