Login or Register
Welcome , Settings |  Logout

McCain Demands Obama Release Names of Benghazi Survivors

Image: McCain Demands Obama Release Names of Benghazi Survivors

Friday, 03 May 2013 10:09 AM

By Ken Hanner

Share:
More . . .
A    A   |
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
Sen. John McCain is demanding President Barack Obama provide Congress the names of the survivors from the deadly attack last year on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

“We don’t even know the names of the people who were evacuated from the consulate and taken to Germany and should have been debriefed immediately,” the Arizona Republican told Fox News' Greta Van Susteren Thursday. “Then any illusion about what kind of attack that was, and what caused it, would have been dispensed with.”

McCain confirmed that he sent a letter to the president this week requesting the names during the interview with Van Susteren. He said the accountability review board set up by former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to investigate the attack failed to interview the survivors.

“That’s my understanding that they didn’t even talk directly to them. And at the same time, since we in Congress didn’t know the names, we obviously didn’t talk to them,” McCain said.

Editor's Note: Should ObamaCare Be Repealed? Vote in Urgent National Poll

“You would think that one person at the CIA, or one person at the White House, would have picked up the phone and said, ‘Hey, let me talk to one of these people who were in the fight and were taken to Ramstein, Germany, for treatment, so that they could give their depiction of what happened.’ And guess what? They didn’t do that.” he added.

Former United Nations Ambassador John Bolton also told Van Susteren that talking to the survivors is essential to finding out what happened during the attack.

“What did these individuals who were on the ground in Libya actually see and do? They’re the ones with the most important information,” Bolton said. “Forget the bureaucrats. If the administration really has nothing to hide, let them testify. What could they possibly be afraid of?”

GOP strategist Karl Rove weighed in on the Van Susteren program with his view, charging that the accountability review board conducted a “whitewash” with its Benghazi probe. He also said White House spokesman Jay Carney “made a huge mistake” when he said this week that Benghazi “happened a long time ago.”

“He basically signaled to the members of the press that a cover-up was under way,” Rove said. “That was a clear message to the media of, ‘Boys and girls, we want you to go along with us on this, we're just going to try and bury this.’”

“I think it's going to have the opposite reaction. I think it's going to say to a lot of people in the mainstream media, this may be worthy of our attention,” Rove added.


© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
More . . .
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax community.
Register to share your comments with the community. Already a member? Login
Note: Comments from readers do not necessarily reflect the viewpoint of Newsmax Media. While we attempt to review comments, if you see an inappropriate comment you can block it by rolling over the comment, clicking the down arrow and selecting "Flag As Inappropriate."
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Top Stories
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Republicans Call for Action on IRS 'Political Thuggery'

Saturday, 11 May 2013 08:35 AM

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and other Republicans are demanding a complete review of the IRS for targeting co . . .

Turkish Official: Wounded Syrians Show Signs of Chemical Attack

Saturday, 11 May 2013 08:00 AM

Adding to signs President Barack Obama's "red line" on use of such arms may have been crossed, Syrian casualties treated . . .

Paul: Benghazi Failure Should Keep Hillary From 'Ever Holding Office'

Saturday, 11 May 2013 07:40 AM

Speaking at an event hosted by the Iowa Federation of Republican Women Friday, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., said that Hilary C . . .

 
 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved