Ros-Lehtinen: Cuba Wrong Place for Beyoncé Vacation

Tuesday, 09 Apr 2013 03:03 PM

By Christiana Lilly

Share:
More . . .
A    A   |
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
Florida Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen slammed singer Beyoncé and her rapper husband, Jay-Z, for their vacation to Cuba, saying it doesn’t “send the right message to the suffering Cuban people.”

“They want freedom, and Beyoncé and Jay-Z are there to have a good time. They should go somewhere else,” the Republican representative said on CNN Tuesday.

Story continues below.



The celebrity couple had permission from the Treasury Department to travel to the Caribbean island, long under embargo by the United States, as a cultural and educational trip, White House spokesman Jay Carney said in a press conference.

“Under this administration, we have eased the ability to travel to Cuba for those purposes but the decisions at the individual level are made at the Treasury Department,” Carney said.

Ros-Lehtinen, who was born in Cuba, said although there are legal ways to visit the island, the couple should have chosen somewhere else to spend their fifth wedding anniversary.

“There are a lot of better places they could go where they’re not feeding a monstrous regime.”

Reuters reports that the hip hop power couple is visiting Havana for four days and so far has visited Old Havana, toured an art school, heard Cuban music at an entertainment venue, and enjoyed Havana’s nightlife. They were also treated to a performance by a children’s theater group.





© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
More . . .
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
Around the Web
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus
Top Stories
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Sen. Manchin Breaks Down, Newtown Families Comfort Him

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 21:21 PM

U.S. Senator Joe Manchin became so emotional on Wednesday about the Newtown massacre and his push for background checks  . . .

CBS Joins Fox in Threat to Move to Cable

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 14:18 PM

CBS is joining the Fox network in threatening to take their broadcasts off the airwaves if Internet startup Aereo Inc. c . . .

Obama Budget Calls for Pentagon Base Closures

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 20:47 PM

The Pentagon is requesting $2.4 billion to fund base closures that would start in 2015, and the GOP is already rejecting . . .

 
 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved