Al-Qaida-linked Group Claims Deadly Syria Blast

Monday, 28 Jan 2013 05:48 AM

 

Share:
More . . .
A    A   |
   Email Us   |
   Print   |

BEIRUT — An al-Qaida-linked group fighting alongside Syrian rebels has claimed responsibility for a suicide car bombing a week ago that reportedly killed dozens of President Bashar al-Assad's loyalists.

A statement Monday from Jabhat al-Nusra says one of its suicide bombers detonated a car bomb at the headquarters of a pro-government militia in the central province of Hama.

Activists said at least 42 people, mostly pro-Assad militiamen, died in the blast last Monday in the town of Salamiya. The government did not say how many people were killed.

Al-Nusra is fighting alongside other rebels to topple Assad. The group has previously targeted government institutions with suicide bombers.

The United States says it's linked to al-Qaida, and has declared the group a terrorist organization.

© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
More . . .
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
Around the Web
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus
Top Stories
Around the Web
You May Also Like

US Offers to Help Iran After Deadly Quake

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 15:27 PM

The White House, at odds with Iran over its nuclear program, offered on Wednesday to help Tehran grapple with a deadly e . . .

Saudi Shiites Fear New Unrest After Spy Arrests

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 09:53 AM

Al-Awamiyah is a small village of shabby houses, narrow streets and dilapidated palm groves that has earned a big reputa . . .

Israel Indicts Arab Citizen for Joining Syria's Insurgency

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 07:02 AM

Israel charged a member of its Arab minority on Wednesday with security offenses for joining the Syrian insurgency again . . .

 
 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved