Login or Register
Welcome , Settings |  Logout

Egypt Islamist Minister Resigns Over Slow Reforms

Thursday, 27 Dec 2012 09:04 AM

 

Share:
More . . .
A    A   |
   Email Us   |
   Print   |

CAIRO — An Islamist Egyptian Cabinet member resigned on Thursday, saying he disagreed with the slow pace of reform, in a move that highlighted growing divisions in the crisis-hit government.

It was the second resignation in Egypt's Cabinet since Communications Minister Hany Mahmoud quit citing his "inability to adapt to the government's working culture."

Mohamed Mahsoub, a member of a centrist party which has recently backed Morsi, said he was resigning from his post as minister for parliamentary affairs because he believed the government needed to change more radically.

Morsi had earlier said he would task Prime Minister Hisham Kandil, an independent technocrat, with making limited cabinet changes ahead of a parliamentary election in early 2013 but Mahsoub hinted he wanted Kandil himself to be removed.

"I have reached a clear conclusion that a lot of the policies and efforts contradict with my personal beliefs and I don't see them as representative of our people's aspirations," Mahsoub said in a resignation letter published on his Wasat Party's Facebook page.

He added that Egypt needed "radically different policies and methods."

© 2013 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
More . . .
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax community.
Register to share your comments with the community. Already a member? Login
Note: Comments from readers do not necessarily reflect the viewpoint of Newsmax Media. While we attempt to review comments, if you see an inappropriate comment you can block it by rolling over the comment, clicking the down arrow and selecting "Flag As Inappropriate."
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Top Stories
Around the Web
You May Also Like

GOP Ready to Push Benghazi Scandal Into 2014, Beyond

Saturday, 11 May 2013 09:03 AM

Steady drips of information about a horrific night in Libya are fueling Republican arguments and ads designed to fire up . . .

UPDATE 3-Pressure Rises on White House over Benghazi Talking Points

Friday, 10 May 2013 22:16 PM

 . . .

White House Dismisses Benghazi Criticism

Friday, 10 May 2013 18:18 PM

WASHINGTON The White House says Friday's public disclosure of emails related to the attack on a U.S. compound in Libya . . .

 
 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved