Former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton says the Obama administration’s reaction to the Boston bombings was similar to its reaction after the attack in Benghazi, in both cases refusing to acknowledge broader links to terror.
“They are so blind to the world that you can’t acknowledge that there is an international terrorist threat,” Bolton said Wednesday night in an interview with Fox News’ Greta Van Susteren.
Bolton’s comments came as Republican House members released an interim report on how the administration reacted after the Sept. 11, 2012, attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, saying the administration “willfully perpetuated a deliberately misleading and incomplete narrative.”
Latest: Do You Support Background Checks on Gun Buyers? Vote in Urgent Poll
After both tragedies, Bolton said, the administration’s initial position “was there is no international terrorist threat, the war on terror is over. And that is a problem.”
“Remember, the narrative was that it was a demonstration that got a little bit out of control over the famous video,” said Bolton, referring to the Benghazi attack, “much in the same way what happened at Boston was some people who had been self-radicalized, no international connection.”
Bolton said the report by five House Republican committee chairmen highlights how “the administration tried to spin the story in the days after the terrorist attack.”
“I said this before. I wish the administration was engaging flat-out in a political cover-up because that is less dangerous for the security of our country than an ideology that blinds them to the reality of the threat of international terror,” he said.
© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.