Login or Register
Welcome , Settings |  Logout

Britain Recognizes Syrian Opposition Coalition

Wednesday, 21 Nov 2012 04:13 AM

 

Share:
More . . .
A    A   |
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
LONDON — Britain recognized the fledgling Syrian National Coalition on Tuesday, joining France in saying the opposition group was the "sole legitimate representative of the Syrian people."

The announcement, by Foreign Secretary William Hague, could boost the group's chances of securing foreign aid and arms as it seeks to oust President Bashar al-Assad.

"It is strongly in the interests of Syria, of the wider region and of the United Kingdom that we support them and deny space to extremist groups," Hague told parliament, saying other European Union (EU) nations would follow suit.

The Syrian National Coalition for Opposition and Revolutionary Forces, set up this month to unite diverse opposition voices, welcomed the move.

"This step is very important and I think it will encourage more Syrians to join the coalition and trust it and it will also encourage other European states to recognise it," the coalition's spokesman Walid al-Bunni said.

France was the first EU country to recognize the group, going further than Monday's EU-wide recognition of the coalition as the legitimate representatives of the "aspirations" of the Syrian people.

"It's a morale boost. It gives some credibility to the opposition, and it could lay the platform practically for more effective ways of channelling support, plus some quasi-military support," said David Butter, Middle East expert at London-based thinktank Chatham House.

Washington has pledged to work with the Syrian opposition coalition, but has stopped short of fully recognising it.

Turkey and Gulf Arab countries were quick to endorse the coalition, formed on Nov. 11 in Doha.

 ASSURANCES

Britain and France, along with the United States, led the military campaign against Libyan former leader Moammar Gadhafi last year, and Paris said it was now considering whether to arm Syria's rebels.

Britain says no option is off the table, but Hague told parliament that no decision had been taken to supply military aid. The EU has an arms embargo on Syria, which is expected to be renewed on Dec. 1.

The West has been more wary in dealing with the Syrian opposition, due to concerns that some groups lack support on the ground and worries about Islamic radicals in the rebel ranks.

U.N. investigators have said rebel fighters may have committed war crimes.

Hague said he has received assurances from the Syrian coalition that the mainly Sunni Muslim opposition would respect Syria's other minorities and uphold human rights.

Assad allies Russia and China have so far vetoed strong U.N. Security Council action against the Syrian president.

An estimated 38,000 people have been killed in Syria since an Arab Spring-inspired uprising against Assad's autocratic rule began in March last year. The initially peaceful protests turned into an armed rebellion after harsh government crackdowns.

© 2013 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
More . . .
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax community.
Register to share your comments with the community. Already a member? Login
Note: Comments from readers do not necessarily reflect the viewpoint of Newsmax Media. While we attempt to review comments, if you see an inappropriate comment you can block it by rolling over the comment, clicking the down arrow and selecting "Flag As Inappropriate."
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Top Stories
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Woman Found Alive in Bangladesh Rubble Recovering

Saturday, 11 May 2013 09:58 AM

A woman found alive in the rubble of a garment factory that collapsed more than two weeks ago is recovering in a hospita . . .

Car Bombs Kill 20 in Turkish Town near Syrian Border

Saturday, 11 May 2013 09:46 AM

Twin car bombs killed at least 20 people near Turkey's border with Syria on Saturday, increasing fears that Syria's civi . . .

Hacked Indian Card Processor was Target in $45M ATM Heist

Saturday, 11 May 2013 08:33 AM

One of the credit card processing companies whose security was breached in a $45 million global cyber heist was India's  . . .

 
 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved