Login or Register
Welcome , Settings |  Logout

Kidnapped US Journalist Missing in Syria for Six Weeks

Thursday, 03 Jan 2013 04:06 AM

 

Share:
More . . .
A    A   |
   Email Us   |
   Print   |

BEIRUT — An American journalist is missing after being kidnapped by unidentified gunmen in northwest Syria six weeks ago, his family said on Wednesday.

The family of freelance journalist James Foley, 39, launched a public campaign to bring him home after requesting a news blackout since Foley was taken on November 22 in Idlib province.

Urgent: Do You Agree with Boehner and Obama's Tax Compromise? Vote Now.

 According to GlobalPost, a news website he had previously reported for, Foley was driving towards the Syrian border with Turkey when he was intercepted by a car. He was forced out of his vehicle by two armed men and has not been seen or heard from since, the website said.

No group has publicly claimed responsibility.

Several journalists have been abducted in Syria during the 21-month-old uprising. Last year the country was by far the most dangerous for journalists with 28 killed, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists, a watchdog.

Rebel groups fighting to oust President Bashar al-Assad have detained journalists suspected of supporting the government. Pro-Assad militia have also seized journalists, including an NBC News team, which was held for five days in December.

Foley is an experienced foreign correspondent who has reported from Syria, Afghanistan, and Libya. In April 2011, he was captured in eastern Libya by government forces and held for 44 days before being released.

He later returned to the country to cover Moammar Gadhafi's fall.

The Syrian government tightly restricts media access. Foley entered the country through rebel-held areas.

Urgent: Do You Agree with Boehner and Obama's Tax Compromise? Vote Now.

French news agency Agence France-Presse, which also used Foley's work, quoted its chairman Emmanuel Hoog as saying it was striving to secure his freedom.

"He is a professional journalist who is absolutely neutral in this conflict," Hoog said. "His kidnappers, whoever they may be, should free him immediately." 

© 2013 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
More . . .
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax community.
Register to share your comments with the community. Already a member? Login
Note: Comments from readers do not necessarily reflect the viewpoint of Newsmax Media. While we attempt to review comments, if you see an inappropriate comment you can block it by rolling over the comment, clicking the down arrow and selecting "Flag As Inappropriate."
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Top Stories
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Woman Found Alive in Bangladesh Rubble Recovering

Saturday, 11 May 2013 09:58 AM

A woman found alive in the rubble of a garment factory that collapsed more than two weeks ago is recovering in a hospita . . .

Car Bombs Kill 20 in Turkish Town near Syrian Border

Saturday, 11 May 2013 09:46 AM

Twin car bombs killed at least 20 people near Turkey's border with Syria on Saturday, increasing fears that Syria's civi . . .

Hacked Indian Card Processor was Target in $45M ATM Heist

Saturday, 11 May 2013 08:33 AM

One of the credit card processing companies whose security was breached in a $45 million global cyber heist was India's  . . .

 
 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved