Login or Register
Welcome , Settings |  Logout

Belgium Holds 6 Islamist Suspects for Syria War Recruitment

Wednesday, 17 Apr 2013 03:52 AM

 

Share:
More . . .
A    A   |
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
BRUSSELS — Belgian police raided 48 homes across the country on Tuesday and detained six men after a year-long investigation into an Islamist group suspected of recruiting fighters for Syria's civil war.

Prosecutors said Fouad Belkacem, the leader of Sharia4Belgium, was one of the six, but declined to give details on the others, beyond saying one had returned wounded from Syria.

Prosecutor Eric Van der Sypt told a news conference that he and his colleagues were investigating whether Sharia4Belgium constituted a terrorist organization, membership of which could lead to a jail term of up to 10 years.

"The investigation shows that Sharia4Belgium is part of a broad international jihadist movement," Van der Sypt said.

Foreign Islamist insurgents are increasingly playing a role in Syria's civil war, which started in March 2011 with street protests against the four-decade rule of the family of President Bashar al-Assad.

Sharia4Belgium is accused of giving ideological and combat training, organizing violent activities in Belgium and recruiting Islamist fighters for conflicts abroad. Van der Sypt said prosecutors were aware of 33 people with links to the group who were either in or on their way to Syria.

"The recruitment occurred, for example, by youths being spoken to on the street and then invited to private meeting places in Antwerp," he said.

Police seized computers, mobile telephones and money in the house searches, mostly in the northern province of Antwerp.

The Syrian conflict pits the Sunni Muslim majority against Assad's supporters among his Alawite sect, an offshoot of Shiite Islam, and has prompted both Sunni and Shi'ite militants from elsewhere to fight in Syria.

Sharia4Belgium is a Salafist group opposed to Assad. Belkacem, who described himself as the spokesman for Sharia4Belgium, was convicted last year of inciting hatred and violence against non-Muslims and ordered to wear an electronic monitoring ankle band.

© 2013 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
More . . .
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax community.
Register to share your comments with the community. Already a member? Login
Note: Comments from readers do not necessarily reflect the viewpoint of Newsmax Media. While we attempt to review comments, if you see an inappropriate comment you can block it by rolling over the comment, clicking the down arrow and selecting "Flag As Inappropriate."
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Top Stories
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Woman Found Alive in Bangladesh Rubble Recovering

Saturday, 11 May 2013 09:58 AM

A woman found alive in the rubble of a garment factory that collapsed more than two weeks ago is recovering in a hospita . . .

Car Bombs Kill 20 in Turkish Town near Syrian Border

Saturday, 11 May 2013 09:46 AM

Twin car bombs killed at least 20 people near Turkey's border with Syria on Saturday, increasing fears that Syria's civi . . .

Hacked Indian Card Processor was Target in $45M ATM Heist

Saturday, 11 May 2013 08:33 AM

One of the credit card processing companies whose security was breached in a $45 million global cyber heist was India's  . . .

 
 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved