Once considered a handy herb around the home, witch hazel is anything but what its name suggests it to be. A traditional home remedy for several ailments, witch hazel extract has been used to heal wounds, prevent bruises, and as a palliative to scores of chronic skin conditions. Witch hazel extract is used for external application. It is made by brewing the leaves or bark of the plant.
The five reasons to keep Witch hazel Handy are as follows:
- The witch hazel extract finds its uses in beauty and spa therapies as a natural astringent for treating skin conditions like acne, excessive sebaceous secretion, or even breakouts of eczema. These days the market is inundated with skin products that boast of the curative powers of creams, wipes, pads, after- shaves, and facial foams. However, the benefits of a completely natural remedy outweigh those of the commercially available preparations.
- Witch hazel extract combined with lemon juice offers an effective remedy for skin conditions like chaffing and soothes recurring skin ailments like acne and dandruff. While sunlight can be a bane for those who suffer rosacea, swabbing on diluted witch hazel extract can serve as a sunscreen. It is an effective remedy for burning and redness. Diluted witch hazel extract also makes an excellent toner for pores and blemishes.
- Rich in resins and flavonoids combined with procyanadins, witch hazel extract is especially an effective remedy for pain related to menstruation, post delivery gynecological bleeding, and piles. Cotton pads infused with witch hazel extract are topically used to soothe inflammatory conditions. Similarly, for treating diseases of the mouth such as ulcers or inflamed gums, a diluted witch hazel extract can be used as a mouthwash.
- Versatile in its uses, witch hazel teas are also an effective remedy for internal conditions like bronchial bleeding, stomach flu, and irritable bowel. However, considering the tannin content of witch hazel extract, such consumption should be undertaken after consulting a physician.
- Witch hazel is also a potent anti-viral remedy to skin conditions like herpes and cold sores, providing quick relief from repeated infections and soothing the eruptions. In most homes, witch hazel extract is used to provide immediate relief to irritation from insect bites.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.