Vicodin is a prescription drug containing acetaminophen and hydrocodone. It is categorized as a narcotic analgesic (pain reliever). Its primary use is to alleviate pain that is too severe for over the counter medications. It is intended for temporary use due to its addictive nature. It typically comes in tablet form and is taken orally. As with other prescription drugs, this pain reliever has side effects that vary from mild to severe.
The Most Common Vicodin Side Effects:
- Dizzy spells
- Feeling lightheaded
You should always inform your doctor about any of these symptoms in order to find other solutions or ways to alleviate them if you cannot cope with them.
Serious side effects include:
- Feelings of fear or anxiety
- Extreme constipation
- Irregular breathing
- Urination difficulties
- Uncontrollable drowsiness
- Lower than normal blood pressure
- Slow heart rate
- The desire to take more than is recommended (long term use)
- Liver Damage (long term use)
If you experience these serious side effects you need to seek immediate medical attention. It is best to inform your doctor and go to the emergency room if you experience any of these symptoms of allergic reaction:
- Difficulty when breathing
- Swelling in the throat or mouth
If you have an allergic reaction to this medication you should immediately seek medical attention.
Due to the addictiveness of this drug, overdose can occur. There are signs of abuse you should be aware of before using this prescription pain reliever including:
- Finishing prescriptions too soon
- Seeking prescriptions from various doctors (doctor shopping)
- Repetitive reports of lost or stolen prescriptions or requesting early prescription refills for vacations
- Claiming allergies to other medications
- Seclusion from family and friends
- Lying, stealing, or general dishonesty
- Replacing friends, usually with those who can get more for them
- Mood swings or odd behavior
- Unexplained money loss or an unusual lack of money
These are the signs that should be watched for when a friend or family member has been taking this narcotic pain reliever for an extended period of time.
When used properly and taken as directed under a doctor's care, Vicodin can be effective at providing relief for moderate to severe pain. Remember to report any signs and symptoms that are unusual to your doctor.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.