A bacteria linked to Legionnaires disease was found at the Aria Resort & Casino at the CityCenter complex in Las Vegas, Nevada, Thirdage reports
The hotel reported that between June 21 and July 4 the bacteria in the water supply was at high levels.
“Most people who get exposed to Legionella are fine, but there’s no reason to take any chances,” said Alan Feldman, MGM Resorts Senior Vice President of Public Affairs. Letters will be sent out to 18,000 guests who stayed at the resort last month to warn them about potential exposure.
So far, no one has reported being sick, but six people who stayed at the hotel have developed Legionnaires’ disease by inhaling the bacteria from the water supply at the hotel. The hotel has since chlorinated and super-heated the water supply to kill the bacteria.
“It’s everywhere. The idea that it’s not usual in high enough concentrations to cause a problem,” Patricia Rowley, epidemiology manager with the Southern Nevada Health District, told KLAS News.
“If, for instance, it was in the shower head, you’re creating a mist right in the shower when you get in. That mist could contain the bacteria.”
KLAS reports that MGM Resorts will pay for the treatment of those exposed to Legionnaires between June 21 and July 4.
Adolescents, the elderly, and those with a compromised immune system are the most susceptible to the disease.
Symptoms may include chills, high fever, cough, fatigue, muscle aches, and headaches.
© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.