The key to glaucoma treatment is diagnosing the disease at an early stage. Prescription medication and eye drops are the most common early treatment. If the condition worsens, glaucoma laser treatment or glaucoma laser surgery may be the only option to save the remaining vision.
The Glaucoma Research Foundation ranks the following glaucoma treatment programs as the best overall clinical (patient care) programs for the treatment of glaucoma.
1.Wilmer Eye Institute, John Hopkins University, Baltimore, Md.
2. Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami, Miami, Fla.
3. Wills Eye Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.
4. Jules Stein Institute, UCLA, Los Angeles, Calif.
5. University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
6. Cole Eye Institute, Cleveland Clinic, OH
7. Duke University Eye Center, Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
8. University of Tennessee, Memphis, Tenn.
9. Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, Ga.
10. W.K. Kellogg Eye Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.
11. Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary, Harvard University, Boston, Mass.
For the ninth consecutive year, the Johns Hopkins Hospital was named the Best Hospital in the United States by U.S. News and World Report. The Wilmer Institute at the Johns Hopkins Hospital was recognized as the best ophthalmology service and glaucoma treatment center in the same poll.
Bascom Palmer is one of the top eye and glaucoma treatment centers in the world. It has a large and loyal private patient base, with a large international clientele.
The Wills Eye Hospital’s Glaucoma Service is actively involved in clinical trials that are attempting to improve glaucoma surgery and glaucoma laser surgery. Its glaucoma treatment center is one of the country’s largest.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.